Most of the population isn’t walking around with common knowledge of anatomy and neurology. It’s very difficult to explain that which we do not understand. The combination of these methods is not something that you've ever experienced. I’m a pioneer of this work, an early adopter, and these methods are not widely known.
I help increase efficiency of movement and decrease pain via the neural pathways.
Please bear in mind that each session is tailored to the person in front of me. What your friend or family member experienced may by incredibly different than what you experience. Your unique history, experiences, and mind demand a unique treatment.
The muscle testing and neurological stimulus applied is extremely gentle. If we utilize manual releases, they will be precise and may be uncomfortable while being administered, but should always be done within in your comfort level.
Your body will be doing some pretty amazing things within the first 72 hours of the session. It's taking the feedback and figuring out what to do with it. You should be spending this time not overexerting yourself. Your physical response could be any number of things. Client reports range from remarkable improvement, little change, or varied degrees of discomfort. Simply put, everyone experiences things differently. What one may consider mild another may consider severe. Your body's protective instincts could go on high alert with any change to your site of pain. Often within 3 days the body has integrated the work and adapted to the new information.
Regardless, the likelihood is that you left your session feeling very different and commenting on your changes in movement and function. This means change is possible. Full affects from therapy should become known within the first week or so. Be sure to connect with your body and note areas that draw your attention within the first week as these are areas we may need to look at further.
Hardware Issues can be bone spurs, arthritis, severely herniated discs requiring surgical intervention, trauma to the brain, or severe degeneration of tissue/structures including bones, joints, discs, ligaments, cartilage, nerves, etc. Actual nuts, bolts, plates, and various replacements that have already been made through surgical means are indeed hardware. Many Neurological and Immune Disorders that affect our various systems can also be considered hardware issues if they are categorized as non curable.
Chronic movement and activities or lifestyle choices that continue to aggravate your conditions are also considered Hardware.
What our session can do is attempt to address the original reason or cause that resulted in said hardware issue.
Everyone. If you are in pain, experiencing movement restrictions, if you are looking to optimize athletic performance, or if you are simply looking to be able to continue living your life the way you want to and not the way you think you have to; I work with you. If you are a human being of any age, size, shape, color, sex; I work with you. Pain and movement restrictions are non-discriminatory and so is my approach.
No. For a very simple reason; I can't offer you any guarantee over the phone, email, or in person that the work we do together will be effective for you.
I need to hear your story, watch how you hold and move your body, feel the tissue tone and texture, and do movement and neuro assessments prior to treatment. We spend over an hour together for your first session to get as many details as possible.
No I do not accept insurance. If you choose, you can contact your Insurance company to see if there is a way to be reimbursed. Full payment is due at the time of your session.
Yes. A 24 hour notice is required. Full details can be found on the Disclaimers page.
As my career developed and I dove head first down the neuroscience rabbit hole I came to the realization that my 'title' was too narrow. It could no longer hold everything that I've been trying to shove into it. (Kudos to the fact that my title allows me to study everything that I have.) I needed to find something that was accurate, but that wasn't so obtuse that my target audience wouldn't understand it.
Things like neuronaut, neuronerd, neuronugget, neurotourist, brainhacker, neurohacktivist, etc. were floating in the ether and I had to reign it in. Badass Brain Hacker & Body Programmer seemed to be too long. I chose to rely on the simple.
Manual Movement Therapist: A person who combines excellence, playfulness, and cleverness while exploring the limitless potential of the feats performed by the brain and body. Brain hackers and body programmers, uniquely skilled possessing quirks and characteristics unparalleled. They defy conventional perception of therapy utilizing in depth neurobiomechanics to treat musculoskeletal stresses. -Marissa Macias Definition of MMT.
- Health History. With MMT, we have a very thorough Health History intake. We will be sifting through a lifetime of injuries, surgeries, and peculiar incidents that may be affecting your current complaint and primary reason for seeking out this therapy. Due to this, your initial session will be longer than your follow ups.
- Movement and Palpation Assessments. I need to see and feel where you are having movement restrictions so we know where to start. I will have you perform movements that cause you to feel restriction or pain and I will palpate the tissue around the area.
- Light Muscle Testing. This is our ‘in’ to your imbalances. We can quickly find out what is not functioning optimally by using light testing. The tests are always performed very lightly and will be adjusted to your comfort. We do not ever want to have a test cause pain. It is your responsibility to convey any discomfort to your therapist immediately.
- Neural Stimulus and Manual Therapy. Combined with your history, the results of the movement and palpation assessments, and the light muscle testing we will apply neural stimulus to the body to find out what kind of pathways are overactive. Tapping into the nervous system this way allows for quick, lasting results. Manual Releases may be applied to high tone areas to help nourish the tissue and speed along recovery.
- Movement Therapy. After assessing and correcting some form of active movement will be advised. This is usually as simple as performing the movements you previously had trouble completing. The goal is to reintegrate the natural movements your body forgot how to do when you became injured. Move how it feels good. If it hurts, don't do it. Simple.
- Initial Sessions are $115 and last about 75 minutes.
- Follow Up Sessions are $85 and last about 45 minutes
Prices are non-negotiable and subject to change.
If you're a health or fitness professional that values your paycheck over the well being of your patient/client, you can click off right now. Please, don't even bother reading any further as our relationship has officially ended before it even began. If your goal is to support your patient/client in their wellness plan and create a solid network of like minded practitioners, welcome. I look forward to working together.
My goal is to support your patient's treatment plan by providing a unique skill set that requires an openness to forget the norm. Traditional therapies have not been working. A different viewpoint and a different approach is needed to get over this plateau.
THE MMT APPROACH AND WHAT YOUR PATIENTS CAN EXPECT.
- All information is relevant. If an injury or event was significant enough to affect one part of the patient, it affected the entire patient. Continuous assessments and information gathering is used so that we are able to get to the root cause or the 'why' of these acute or chronic conditions.
- Utilizing advanced motor therapies we are then able to locate movement imbalances and identify which neurological receptors are responsible for creating the problem. This allows the body to start its natural healing process.
- The patient will then reintegrate the body by completing everyday movements that they were previously unable to do without pain or restriction.
Above all else, my driving factor is to get your patient in and out of therapy in as few sessions as possible.
"No Gurus. No Dogma. No Nonsense. Effective therapy when you need it."
Ideally, our sessions will greatly reduce the symptoms of their primary complaint or resolve it entirely. In some circumstances we may discover that the root cause is a hardware issue, out of my skill set, or out of my SOP and the patient will need another option to proceed.
What You Can Expect
- Transparency. I am happy to provide you information about your patient's progress if you and the patient agree upon the open lines of communication and I expect the same from you.
- Quality care. Your patient will receive the highest level of treatment that I can provide. If I can't help the patient, he/she will know within three to five sessions.
- Respect for your relationship with your patient. The fact that you have referred to another practitioner in order to further help their healing process earns you my utmost respect. I will do my best in order to get them back into your wonderful care as quickly as possible.
Every practitioner holds a piece of the puzzle. In order for any of us to complete the picture we need to work together.
If you are a Physical Therapist, D.O., Naprapath, Chiropractor, Acupuncturist, Massage Therapist, Personal Trainer, Occupational Therapist, Athletic Trainer, Pilates Instructor, Yoga Instructor, Herbalist, Nutritionist, Naturopath, etc that feels the same way and is looking to network with like minded professionals or if you feel that I may be able to help one of your patients or clients, let's work together to help you patient.